Monday, July 10, 2006

I'm SO glad my God is SO big!

So there I was breaking the record for the shortest sermon ever preached at Calvary Bible Church, feeling like I had raced through the material the Lord gave me thinking, "If you don't slow down, you are going to have to preach a lot more often cuz we're gonna be outta here in less than an hour and you're never gonna hear the end of it!" I have every confidence that I preached the Lord's message on Sunday, and His message just happened to be short and to the point. I warned everybody before I started that I had the spiritual gift of breivity. Anyway, the day shaped up to be a good one and there seemed to be about 30 new people in service all under 30 years old so that was encouraging too.
At softball practice after church i hit a ball out of the park for the first time and I think that this particular scenario has ramifications that will send shockwaves through my entire existance: quit trying so hard! I had been swinging my guts out and wasn't able to get that ball to go anywhere so when I started thinking "just relax and hit the ball" smacked that thing six feet up on the light pole in left-center field!
After practice we all decided to go see the 6:30 showing of Pirates of the Carribean. Half way through the movie I got a call on my cell (yes, it was on vibrate). A lady in our church called to tell me that her mother had passed away after a long fight with alzheimers and various other ailments and since the Senior Pastor is on sabbatical she asked me to do the funeral. She asked me "Have you done many funerals?" I had to laugh because I just got commissioned two months ago! I am meeting with her and her husband this morning to talk about the details. I am keeping my softball lesson in the back of my mind though: don't try so hard, let God show his perfect and complete strength through your weakness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home